Axle Noise Diagnosis Quiz
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Covers the material from MasterTech issue # 10 October 1999
1. IF YOU'VE IDENTIFIED A SUSPECTED AXLE SOUND AS A GROWL, YOU SHOULD HAVE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA THAT YOU NEED TO CHECK: [ answer ]
A. ring gear backlash
B. bearings and races
C. ring gear runout
D. pinion depth
2. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING FACTORS CAN HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE PRESENCE AND SEVERITY OF VEHICLE SOUNDS? [ answer ]
B. Operating temperature.
C. Road conditions.
D. All of the above.
3. RING GEAR BACKLASH MEASUREMENTS SHOULD NOT VARY BY MORE THAN _______ FROM EACH OTHER TO BE WITHIN SPECIFICATION. [ answer ]
4. WHAT ACTION MUST BE TAKEN BEFORE ROAD TESTING A VEHICLE WITH THE REAR PROPSHAFT REMOVED? [ answer ]
A. Plug the transfer case output.
B. Change the transfer case fluid.
C . Load the pinion.
D. Perform the Vari-LokTm differential test.
5. HOW IS THE DIFFERENTIAL TURNING TORQUE OF AN AXLE CALCULATED? [ answer ]
A. Divide the axle ratio by the ring gear diameter.
B. Multiply the pinion depth variance by the pinion depth.
C. Subtract the pinion turning torque from the total turning torque.
D. Multiply the axle ratio by the total turning torque.
6. AN AXLE SOUND IDENTIFIED AS A HOWL IS USUALLY AN INDICATOR OF ISSUES WITH [ answer ]
A. worn bearings
B. contaminated fluid
D. side gear clearance
7. TECHNICIAN A SAYS THAT CARRIER RUNOUT SHOULD BE MEASURED AT THE FLANGE CENTER PILOT ON THE RING GEAR. TECHNICIAN B SAYS THAT THE RUNOUT MEASUREMENT SHOULD BE TAKEN AT THE RING GEAR FLANGE. WHO IS CORRECT? [ answer ]
A. Technician A.
B. Technician B.
C. Neither Technician A nor Technician B.
D. Both Technician A and Technician B.
8. WHAT IS A MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ROAD TEST DRIVE MODES "FLOAT'' AND "CRUISE"? [ answer ]
A. The target speed is maintained during cruise but not during float.
B. The drive side of the ring and pinion gears are loaded during cruise; during float, the gears load and unload on the drive side.
C. During float, light throttle pressure is applied. No throttle pressure is applied during cruise.
D . Moderate acceleration is used during cruise. Light deceleration is used during float.
9. TRUE OR FALSE? YOU SHOULD USE A SPREADER TO SPREAD AN AXLE HOUSING NO MORE THAN .020". [ answer ]
A. True. B. False.
10. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING VEHICLE COMPONENTS CAN SOMETIMES CONTRIBUTE TO COMPLAINTS THAT CAN BE MISTAKEN FOR AXLE SOUNDS? [ answer ]
A. Upper control arms.
B. Exhaust system hangers.
C. Transfer case.
D. All of the above.
Last Update: December 20, 1999